Elevate Church - Moldolva Medical Mission Blog


On Sept 14, 2013 a group of 11 missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Moldova to support an 8 day medical mission. The team will be working with New Hope Moldova, and Oleg and Marina Reutki, to provide both physical and spiritual healing to those living in Moldova.


To receive e-mail notification of updates, enter your email address in the box below

Monday, September 16, 2013

A clinic come to life

Yesterday was a crazy hectic day. Our flight arrived in Chisinau, Moldova - passing thru Customs uneventfully. Pastor Oleg and his family arrived to transport us. As we looked at the city driving in from afar it looked amazing but the closer we got the more desolate it looked. There were people out and about - it reminded me of WW II and modern day life combined. Empty unfinished high rises - trees sprouting inside - what? I know. I didn't want to take pictures but rather take it all in. To see in broad daylight human trafficking breaks my heart, but seeing people blind to breaks my heart more. When did this become ok? We spent the evening packing thousands of children and adult vitamins in baggies. I am hear to tell you Gummie Vitamins do not smell good - ughhh, but they are good for you. We opened the clinic today, in the office space of New Hope Moldova. 3 nurses set up in a room as big as our living room with plastic patio furniture and other odds and end. Another nurse worked directly with the physician packaging medicines. The room was full love (because as the worship song we are listening to Seth sing at this moment - You make beautiful things, you make beautiful things out of dust - making all things new). We medically assessed 89 people today. In an open room, no privacy, so different then what we are accustomed to. Old and young alike came thru. A clinic can come to life anywhere that Christ is. We listened, even if not able to understand verbally we were able to listen with our eyes and heart. It is weird not being able to directly communicate. Our translators are patient with us - often we need to explain a word as it doesn't translate easily. Ailments included high blood pressure, diabetes, and salt in the bones (which I now know is arthritis). I found it odd to need to keep explaining how to take an oral temperature - well I am the silly one - should have asked sooner as they do axillary temperatures. Joy and I tag teamed it - she has such a gift for prayer. God gifts us all uniquely. The highlight was when an elderly lady gave me a hug - all I have wanted to do is cry all day - not out of pity but out of love. God has been preparing me to see and to love. I am so grateful. I am humbled. Thanks to God for bringing me here. The others on our team passed out 140 pairs of reader eyeglasses. Others visited homes passing out food packages and sharing the Good News of Hope thru Jesus. Pray for the Moldovan People. Hope is here - I can see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment