Elevate Church - Moldolva Medical Mission Blog


On Sept 14, 2013 a group of 11 missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Moldova to support an 8 day medical mission. The team will be working with New Hope Moldova, and Oleg and Marina Reutki, to provide both physical and spiritual healing to those living in Moldova.


To receive e-mail notification of updates, enter your email address in the box below

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Village of Sofia

Today we packed our bags into the van once again and made our way to another village. I was overcome by the simple beauty - from the wells to draw water, horse drawn wagons, small homes, quietness - peace. Our clinic was set up on the second floor of a community center. Again, there were people already waiting to receive care. Waiting and watching. By clinic day 3 we were more confident that we could do what God had asked of us. We worked as a team. I am overwhelmed by the kindness we received from all. The villagers were well prepared for the cold damp weather, layered up with clothes. Now we understood why everywhere we have been, many dress in layers. Today was a bit slower paced with up to 130 people being assessed. I saw a 2 year old who had 30% of his body burned from pulling a pot of soup on himself. Soup, something we eat occasionally but soup is a staple of most meals here. This young man had been grafted and it had healed. Mom was seeking a salve to prevent his itching of the new skin. We had none to give. Heartbreaking. Many walked with crutches or canes made from sticks found in their yards. They walked from their homes, then hobbled up an uneven flight of steps - Eric had the most important role today - assisting people up and down the stairs. In America, a site such as this would not have been seen as being acceptable - caregivers and patients alike in coats, no handicap accessibilty. Not one person fell. Not one person complained. I listened to people and heard their story. I think now that that is why God brought me here. Not so much to assess as a nurse but to care as a nurse. To care a person. To listen to a story. To pray with and for people. I am humbled that many of these people prayed for me - for me - God is wrecking me. They asked if we would be back - there is only one way for me to answer this. Yes, because Jesus loved me, because Jesus loves these people. I don't believe it is out of desperation that they ask. They ask this after we talk, after we pray together. They ask because they trust and believe we care and love them. Why else would it be. God is wrecking me. The last person I saw today was Ian's grandmother. Ian, our host from the village. The volunteer from the local church. Ian whose grandmother told me she raised him from an infant because he was abandoned by his parents. Ian who spoke to us at dinner and shared his story. Ian who shared wih us that we offered hope. God you wrecked me yet again. Intermingled in all this is Maria, who cooked for us. We were served their best. Flowers in cups on a cloth covered table in the school house cafeteria. Maria who aaked at lunchtime that we remember the children when we return. Not if we return but when we return. Maria who comes to be seen at the clinic and asks for vitamins and Tylenol for her child, and vitamins for her friend and her friend's child. She asks for them, not for herself. Maria who then rushes back to start our evening meal. It was delicious and included cake. I saw flowers I have never seen before. Today I saw a buckeye tree - they grow here too. The name of the village where God wrecked me is Sofia - the name of my first granddaughter, Sophia. Isn't God brilliant?

2 comments: